Aquaphor is a skincare staple for many individuals who’ve dry, chapped pores and skin or lips. This ointment will get its moisturizing powers primarily from petrolatum, lanolin, and glycerin.
These components work collectively to tug water from the air into your pores and skin and maintain it there, holding pores and skin hydrated. It accommodates different components, too, like bisabolol, which is derived from the chamomile plant and has soothing, anti-inflammatory properties.
Although it’s finest referred to as a moisturizer for dry pores and skin, Aquaphor can also be generally used as a protected and efficient a part of tattoo aftercare.
If you happen to’re planning to get some new ink, or have simply gone beneath the needle, it’s possible you’ll need to be taught extra about how and why to make use of Aquaphor when caring for a brand new tattoo.
Getting a tattoo means subjecting your pores and skin to damage. It’s vital you give your tattoo the best therapy and time to heal so it doesn’t scar or turn out to be contaminated or distorted. It would take about 3 or 4 weeks to your tattoo to totally heal.
Moisture is essential to making sure your tattoo heals correctly. After getting a tattoo, you need to stop it from drying out. Dryness will trigger extreme scabbing and itchiness, which may harm your new ink.
Tattoo artists usually suggest Aquaphor for aftercare as a result of it’s so good at hydrating the pores and skin — and that’s vital while you get a brand new tattoo.
After all, you should utilize different unscented moisturizing ointments to care to your tattoo. Search for petrolatum and lanolin within the components checklist.
Nevertheless, you’ll need to keep away from utilizing straight-up petroleum jelly or Vaseline. That’s as a result of it doesn’t permit sufficient air to have contact with the pores and skin. This may result in poor therapeutic and even an infection.
Instantly after you get inked, your tattoo artist will apply a bandage or wrap to the tattooed space in your pores and skin. They may probably advise you to maintain that bandage or wrap in place for wherever from a number of hours to a number of days.
When you take away the bandage or wrap, you want to begin a cycle of:
- gently washing your tattoo with unscented cleaning soap and lukewarm water
- gently drying your tattoo by patting it with a clear paper towel
- making use of a skinny layer of Aquaphor or one other unscented ointment accredited to deal with tattoos, akin to A and D
You’ll repeat the method of washing, drying, and making use of Aquaphor two to 3 instances a day for a number of days after getting inked.
There’ll come a degree throughout your washing-drying-ointment routine while you’ll have to change from utilizing ointment to utilizing lotion. That is normally after a number of days to per week or so after you first obtained your tattoo.
There’s a distinction between ointment and lotion. Ointments like Aquaphor do a extra heavy-duty job of moisturizing the pores and skin than do lotions. That’s as a result of ointments have an oil base, whereas lotions have a water base.
Lotions are extra spreadable and breathable than ointments. Aquaphor has the additional benefit of anti-inflammatory results, which may make the tattoo therapeutic course of speedier and extra comfy.
After a given variety of days of utilizing ointment (your tattoo artist will specify what number of), you’ll swap to lotion. It’s because you want to maintain your tattoo moist for a number of weeks till it’s fully healed.
Throughout your aftercare routine, as a substitute of including ointment, apply a skinny layer of lotion at the least twice a day. Nevertheless, you may want to use lotion as a lot as as much as 4 instances a day to maintain your therapeutic tattoo hydrated.
Make sure to use unscented lotion. Perfumed lotions sometimes include alcohol, which may dry out the pores and skin.
Any tattoo artist will let you know that the extra effort you place into taking good care of your new tattoo, the higher it is going to look. Listed below are another aftercare ideas to assist guarantee your tattoo appears to be like its finest:
- Don’t scrub your tattoo when washing it.
- Don’t submerge or maintain your tattoo moist for a protracted time frame. Whereas transient showers are high quality, this implies no swimming, baths, or sizzling tubs for at the least 2 weeks.
- Don’t choose at any scabs which will type in your therapeutic tattoo. Doing so will disfigure your tattoo.
- Don’t put your tattoo in direct daylight or go tanning for two to three weeks. As an alternative, be sure you cowl it with loose-fitting clothes, however not sunscreen. After your tattoo heals, it’s high quality to reveal it to daylight. However word that unprotected solar publicity will fade your tattoo, so as soon as your tattoo is healed, it’s advisable to make use of sunscreen and different types of solar safety while you head outdoors.
- In case your tattoo is very scabby or itchy, it’s possible you’ll need to think about holding a heat compress in your tattoo for a couple of minutes a day. Fold up two to 3 paper towels, run them beneath heat water, squeeze them out, and gently press the compress in your tattoo. Simply be certain to not oversoak your tattoo.
Aquaphor is a generally really helpful a part of a tattoo aftercare routine. It has hydrating and anti inflammatory properties that may velocity therapeutic and make the method extra comfy.
If you happen to’re getting some new ink, or have simply gotten a tattoo, it’s possible you’ll need to think about using Aquaphor.